Monday, April 7, 2008

My Brother



It’s been 44 days since my brother left for Marine Corps boot camp. He has completed exactly 50%. In 44 days we will see him receive his EGA (Eagle, Globe and Anchor) at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, probably the most proud day of his life. This past Christmas, I told co-workers that this would be the last Christmas with my brother. She asked why and I told her that he would be leaving for boot camp in February. She laughed it off and said it’s not like he is dying! Very true! And he won’t be headed to a warzone either. But on February 24, we lost our family as we knew it. It will never be the same again. My brother will never live with my parents again, and may never live in our hometown again. That means seeing him only once or twice a year, not every day. He will never be just down the road when I’m in a jam. He didn’t just go away to college, where we can call him and email him anytime. There are no weekend visits or quick conversations. The only communication we have with him is hand written snail mail letters. The first letter we received, I got a call and everyone rushed home. We sat around the letter like it was actually my brother. I never expected to have the feelings I have and I never expected to miss him as much as I do. I thought I knew how I would feel, but until you go through it, you have no idea. I think about him throughout my day, every day, wondering what he’s doing, if he’s okay and doing good and hoping he’s staying motivated. I write to him every day. With him being gone I’ve realized how much I took him for granted. I didn’t hang out with him or call him as much as I should have and I’ll never get that time back. I love my little brother so much.
I can see so much of my dad in him. I’m proud of his work ethic, his loyalty and his forgiveness, the way he cares for his family and friends and would do anything for them. I’m proud that he doesn’t take the easy way out and he does what he knows is right. I’m proud of the way he doesn’t quit when the going gets tough and even the way he chose the Marine Corps. A lot of people tried to talk him into choosing something different, something easier. He knew what it was going to take and how hard it was going to be, and he did it anyway. In the selfish world that we live in today, especially at a time of war he volunteered to defend our country and at 19 years old is willing to die for YOUR freedom. I couldn’t be more proud of him. On May 23 we will be there to watch my brother, but he won’t be my little brother anymore. They have turned him into a Marine, they have turned him into a man.
I love you Richard.

No comments: