Saturday, May 17, 2008

Armed Forces Day

In the United States, Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. The day was created in 1949, and was a result of the consolidation of the military services in the Department of Defense. It was intended to replace the separate Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Days, but observance of these days, especially within each particular service, continues to this day. The purpose of Armed Forces day is to honor Americans serving in the five services - the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Today, please take time to honor the men and women in your life that have fought so selflessly for our freedom.

SGT. Sergio Rangel, US Army
Today, first and foremost I want to honor my husband, Sergio. He has done things in his 28 years that some will never do in a lifetime. He has seen and heard things that normal people only see on TV. He is courageous and brave, yet extremely humble. He is not a braggart. Just meeting Serg, I don't think anyone would know that he once served on the front lines of a war. I even joke with him that how could anyone so loud and hyper have a job that requires so much discipline and order. I tell him that I think it's all a hoax, that I can't imagine him staying quiet long enough to listen to orders! :) But he has served, and continues to serve. He has sacrificed much more than just 9 years of his life. I am so proud of everything that he has done and continues to do, because he's not just a fantastic soldier, he's the best husband I could have ever dreamed to have. Our country is lucky to have such a man serving them. I love you Sergio with all my heart. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. Click Here

I want to also thank our family and friends who have served or continue to serve:
My Father, Doug Carpenter, US Navy
My Uncle, Bruce LaPolla, US Army
My Paternal Grandfather, Benjamin Carpenter, US Army
My Maternal Grandfather, Richard Bickford, US Navy
My Uncle, John Bickford, US Navy
My Cousin, CPT. David Gursky (Ret.), US Army
My Brother, PVT. Cameron Carpenter, USMC
Serg's Dad, Simon Rangel, US Army
Serg's Cousin, Michael Bustos, US Army
Serg's Cousin, Stephen Rangel, US Army
Serg's Cousin, Richard Ruiz, US Navy
Serg's Uncle, Juan Rangel, US Army
Serg's Uncle, Ernesto Rangel, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Richard Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Alfonso Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Israel Fuentes, USAF
Serg's Uncle, Rudolfo Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Ezequiel Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Ismael Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Enrique Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, Marcos Fuentes, USMC
Serg's Uncle, David Fuentes, USMC
PFC. Chad Smithey, US Army
SGT. Sergio Villafane, US Army
Anthony Bernardo, US Army
Derrick Mosely, US Army
Corey Dennis, US Army
Jose Sanchez, US Army
Eric Rhodes, US Navy
and
SFC. Mickey Zaun, US Army, who paid the ultimate price in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He will NEVER be forgotten.

From the bottom of my heart, and I know Sergio would agree, thank each and everyone of you, and your families for your service and sacrifice. Our country wouldn't be free without brave men like you, and the strong families that support them.
Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts
they perform for us in our time of need. Amen.

Remember our troops today, thank them for their service, and most of all, pray for them.

No comments: