Monday, May 25, 2009

Lost But Not Forgotten...

This weekend is Memorial Day weekend and I feel that we should recognize a couple of outstanding Soldiers that were a big influence in my military career and without our paths crossing who knows where I would have been.
SFC(R) Steve Gernet: Died January 23, 2007 – You were a crazy man who taught me that just because I was a combat cameraman that it didn’t mean that I couldn’t hang with you guys. You helped push me through a lot of hard training and never let me fail.

Sgt. Maj. Bradly D. Conner: Died May 9, 2007 - Although I didn’t know you on a personal level you still treated me as a friend. You taught me everything I know about how to be a real soldier. I never thought that I would have learned the things that I learned. Thank you.

SFC Mickey Zaun: Died January 28, 2005 - Wow! Where do I start with you man? You were one hell of a friend. I could always count on you for a good laugh. You also taught me never settle for anything. Always look ahead all while having fun.

As I sit here in my kitchen thinking about the fun times we had training, I can’t believe that I am writing about you guys on Memorial Day. This is hard for me think that you guys aren’t out there making this country a better place to live. Its guys like you that make this country free.

- Sergio Rangel

A thank you to all service members past, present and future with a special thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. In the history of our amazing nation over 655,908 husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and friends have lost their lives keeping us free. Today we salute and thank each and every Soldier, Marine, Airman, Sailor, Coast Guardsman and their families.

No comments: